Carol Welsman – Express Bio
Carol Welsman is an internationally acclaimed vocalist and pianist whose expressive vocal styling and dynamic stage presence have captivated audiences around the world.
• 12th Recording release of :”This is Carol” – Carol Welsman, Love Songs, Muzak Records, Japan – October 2016 – Carol’s first solo vocal/piano album followed by a 10-concert national tour, Japan. The CD has been the No. 1 selling jazz album at retail in Tokyo for 5 months.
• Worldwide Release August 2015- 11th Jazz Vocal album Alone Together featuring Rufus Reid, bass, Lewis Nash, drums, Wallace Roney, trumpet. US Tour including Blues Alley, Washington, Birdland, NYC, and 8 shows at Cotton Club, Tokyo December 2015.
• “Memories Of You” – Japan Tour Nov. 2013 – 22 sold out concerts with Benny Goodman Big Band and clarinetist Ken Peplowski
• Co-Star in “And Then She Wrote…” A Celebration of Great American Songbook Classics Written by Women!
6 shows, Metropolitan Room, New York, Jan .11-14- 2013, with 5 Time Emmy Award Winner/ Singer Peter Marshall, and Triple Grammy nominated jazz vocalist Denise Donatelli
• Released “JOURNEY”, Carol’s 9th CD in April 10, 2012 – song included in USA Today Playlist April 3rd, received Juno Award Nomination (Canadian Grammy), Carol’s 6th nomination for “Best Vocal Jazz Album”.
• Carol’s CD, “I Like Men” Reflections of Miss Peggy Lee was voted Top 5 Album of the Year 2009 – in USA Today
• “I Like Men” received a Juno Award nomination- Canadian Grammy- (Carol’s fifth) for “Best Jazz Vocal Album” 2009
• “Memories Of You” The Music of Benny Goodman CD with guest clarinetist Ken Peplowski, released in Japan (2008) received 2009 GOLD Award /Jazz Critics Magazine (Carol has performed 50 concerts in Japan in 2009, 2011, 2013)
• Special guest of Jazz Legend Marian McPartland for her “Friends” evening- Dizzy’s Jazz Club – Lincoln Center 2010
• Winner of 2008 “Album of the Year” for CD “CAROL WELSMAN” (Justin Time Records, CDN Smooth Jazz Awards (produced by Jimmy Haslip of the Yellowjackets), winner of 2010 “Female Vocalist of the Year” Award
• “What’cha Got Cookin’?”, Carol’s CD/DVD of Jazzed up Country, produced by Pierre Cossette- Grammy Awards producer- is released in Japan and on KOCH Canada in 2006.
• 6 Juno Award nominations (Canadian Grammys) for her 11 CDs released in Canada
• Featured artist in “The Language of Love” Documentary aired on CBC Canada, 2005, with special guests Herbie
Hancock, Djavan, and Oscar Castro Neves
• Featured performer on “Larry King Live” for the 9/11 Commemoration, 2004
• Has written lyrics for various international pop stars including “Baby Close Your Eyes” recorded by Celine Dion on her 2004 “Miracle” CD, for Ray Charles, and Nicole Scherzinger of the Pussy Cat Dolls
• Co-hosted the 2000 Billboard Jazz Awards with Herbie Hancock on BET
• Blending international rhythms and languages showcases her ability to cross musical boundaries while remaining within the jazz idiom
• Refreshing take on arrangements breathes new life into jazz and pop song classics, in a style that’s all her own, ranging from sultry and warm to infectiously energetic (offers both standards and original songs)
• Vocals run the gamut from being hauntingly reminiscent of Peggy Lee, to swinging a la Ella
• Block chord piano/vocal improvisations set her apart in today’s jazz world
• Performs a variety of shows ranging from Pops Symphony Orchestras to intimate cabaret settings